ALERT is governed by a civilian board of directors made up of individuals selected from police commissions in Edmonton, Calgary, Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, as well as two individuals representing communities policed by the RCMP and a representative from the Government of Alberta.
A Provincial Executive Committee and Joint Management Team, made up of chiefs and deputy chiefs from police agencies around the province, provide advice and input to the Board of Directors.
ALERT Board of Directors
- Mr. Bill Given, Urban communities policed by the RCMP
- Mr. Bill Sweeney, Alberta Justice and Solicitor General
- Mr. Richard Sigurdson, Calgary Police Commission
- Mr. Donald Johnson (Chair), Rural communities policed by the RCMP
- Ms. Janet-Sue Hamilton, Edmonton Police Commission
- Ms. Jean Valgardson, Lethbridge Regional Police Commission
- Mr. Greg Keen, Medicine Hat Police Commission
ALERT Chief Executive Officer
Superintendent Chad Coles was appointed ALERT Chief Executive Officer in March 2017.
Coles grew up in Moose Jaw, Sask., and is a 21-year veteran of the RCMP, with a third of his career spent as a member of integrated units. Prior to joining ALERT, Coles was a member of Saskatchewan’s Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit and spent time in Saskatoon, Regina, Prince Albert, Nipawin and Cumberland House.
Coles joined ALERT in 2015, overseeing regional organized crime teams based in Fort McMurray, Grande Prairie, Lethbridge, Medicine Hat and Red Deer. He replaces Superintendent Charmaine Bulger as ALERT CEO, who recently retired after a distinguished 35-year career with the RCMP.